Friday, March 18, 2011

52?...53??...it's all the same

February 27th is a big deal for two reasons. One it's my daddy's birthday, a great time to celebrate 52 years of a great man! :)
Also it is the beginning of what will be a ton of birthday party's. Not gonna lie, I can't remember the last time I went to so many in such a short period of time. But we had a blast, and I had an awesome excuse to practice more.So back to daddy. It was his 52 birthday, even though when you asked him he would proudly say 53...I guess it's the old age ;) His birthday fell on a Sunday and unfortunately we were unable to make the birthday party due to a previous commitment that night, so we went the night before and had a nice dinner with him. Even though I wasn't able to be there Sunday I still wanted to bring a special cake for him. I wasn't exactly sure what to make, so I google image search ideas, nothing helpful came up. In fact a lot of really inappropriate cake pictures surfaced, some of which I would be embarrassed to make let alone show people. I asked family their thoughts and ideas and due to my dad's amazing carpentry skills and that he works at Home Hardware I decided to make a red tool box. Had a little difficulty covering this cake because the cake was so moist it was shifting, creating an awkward looking shape. I was able to make it straight eventually but it took some time. I put as many details as possible, including hinges in the back, a screw driver, tape measure and (thanks to my husbands creative thinking,) ground up brown sugar to give the look of sawdust. Since we weren't there when they cut it I don't have a picture of him blowing out the candles unfortunately , but here is the finished product.

No comments: