Sunday, April 10, 2011

And the fun begins!


In November, my older brother and his girlfriend got engaged! The wedding is July 16th, 2011. When we were discussing their wedding plans, I offered to make their wedding cake and they accepted. Which is kind of why this cake adventure has taken place. I wanted to make sure that when the day arrived that my skills where up to par and that they didn't have a lumpy, sinking cake.

On April 16th, my Mom threw the first of Nancy's showers for our side of the family and friends. My mom asked me to make the shower cake. My mom is one of the most talented florists and decorators. I knew she was going to make the place look amazing, so I wanted a cake that would fit right in. Her wedding colors are bright pink and green. I wanted something simple and pretty.

I made a two tiered cake, the bottom tier was red velvet and the top was lemon almond. The top was originally chocolate, but at 12:30 Am the night before the shower I had to bake another cake! When I went to cover it, it started to crumple and topple. It looked like a lumpy mess. I was not putting that on top of the cake for everyone to see. So I stayed up till 3AM making another cake. It turned out a million times better.


So both tiers were covered in white fondant and had a pink ribbon and bow tied around them. I wanted to do some white piping on it, to give it a more elegant look, but for whatever reason, the buttercream I was using didn't stick to the cake properly. I'm not sure if there is a better icing to use, when piping on fondant but I plan on finding out for next time. So I did some minimal piping on the bottom, and then the top I put some dots. Then when I got to the shower I used the remaining flowers from the decorations to make a topper.


Here is the beautiful bride cutting the cake! ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this cake, Wheeze!!! You did a fabulous job!!! It was really yummy too <3 Mandy